The Allen & Overy Employee Referral Scheme is also extended to our alumni and we hope that you will continue to play a role in promoting A&O as an employer of choice to your friends and colleagues.
For the purposes of this policy, a referral is defined as an employee (the “referrer”) actively initiating the process of application of a candidate to Allen & Overy LLP. In making a referral, the referrer must feel comfortable in representing the candidate as a potential employee of Allen & Overy LLP.
You should ask your referral to use the following process in order to be eligible for a referral payment:
• View our list of vacancies on our career website www.allenovery.com/careers
• Apply to a vacancy via the career website.
• Your referral will have the opportunity to insert your name and/or email address as the referrer whilst making an application. It is important they add your name and/or email address to their application; otherwise a referral payment may not be made.
• If two A&O employees are influential in the referral of a candidate, please ensure the referral inserts both referrer names and/or email addresses when making their application. A maximum of two people are allowed as referrers and payments will be split equally.
To note: Allen & Overy LLP will not accept claims for referral payments where the above process is not followed.
A referral payment will be paid to the referrer for the successful introduction of a permanent employee and those engaged on fixed term contracts of 12 months or more.
If an employee refers someone to Allen & Overy and the referred candidate is hired on a fixed term contract (FTC) basis of less than 12 months, a pro-rated payment will be made. If the FTC subsequently transfers to a permanent contract, the referrer will be eligible for full payment.
Payments are split into two stages:
• The first payment will be half of the total payment and will be paid to the referrer following the date the referred candidate joins Allen & Overy. The payment will be made during the next monthly pay round.
• The remaining half of the referral payment will be payable to the referrer on successful completion of the candidate’s probationary period.
All payments made under this scheme are subject to deductions for tax and NI contributions.
The referral bonus will be paid on the same month of the candidate start date if starting before the 10th of the month. For candidate’s that start after 10th of the month the referral bonus will be paid the following month. This is due to our payroll cut off times.
All employees are eligible for payment under this policy except:
• Employees who are recruiting their own direct reports;
• Any employee who is involved in, or is in a position to influence the selection process for the individual concerned;
• Any employee who in making a recommendation is in breach of any contractual obligation to a third party (for instance, if their contract of employment with a former employee currently prevents them from “poaching” a former colleague);
• Any individual not directly employed by Allen & Overy LLP.
For cross-border referrals, the criteria for eligibility and reward will be based on the policy operating within the receiving office.
Referrals cannot be made in respect of the following:
• Trainee Solicitors;
• Candidates who respond to advertisements;
• Candidates who apply through agencies;
• Candidates who have previously worked for Allen & Overy LLP whether in London or elsewhere (including permanent and fixed term employees, agency temps and agency or third party contractors i.e. self-employed) who have left the firm within the last 12 months.
• Individuals currently employed within Allen & Overy whether in London or elsewhere (including permanent and fixed term employees, agency temps and agency or third party contractors i.e. self-employed).
You will not receive a referral bonus for the referral of any non-employees. For example, self-employed contractors, candidates working through a 3rd party or paid on a temporary basis (daily or hourly rate).
Visit our Careers Centre for a list of current A&O vacancies.
We are keen to hear from A&O alumni, lawyers from other top tier law firms and those with blue chip client experience to join the Peerpoint panel.
Recognising the value of personal networks and the opportunity that these present in terms of attracting talented individuals, Peerpoint offer a generous payment for the referral of legal consultants. The payment is subject to Peerpoint’s referral policy. Details can be found in the policy wording documents for each region.
Introducing someone to Peerpoint couldn’t be simpler. All you have to do is email them and copy in UK.email@example.com (UK), firstname.lastname@example.org (Australia), email@example.com (Asia), firstname.lastname@example.org (UAE) or email@example.com (US).
We are happy to talk with people who are considering joining the panel now and those who just want to explore it as a future career option. Of course, all of the discussions we have are completely confidential.
Please consider the following criteria before introducing an individual to Peerpoint:
We are currently looking for individuals with experience in the areas highlighted below and may not be able to assist those outside these areas:
Attorneys with 4 years or more experience, licensed to practice in New York, Washington DC or California, in the following areas:
For the purposes of this policy, a referral is defined as an Allen & Overy employee, Allen & Overy alumni or Peerpoint consultant (the “referrer”) actively initiating the process of application of a candidate not already known to Peerpoint. As a minimum, this would mean that a dialogue should have taken place between the referrer and the candidate regarding potential consultant opportunities with Peerpoint. In making a referral, the referrer must feel comfortable in representing the candidate as a potential legal consultant of Peerpoint. The candidate must confirm the name of their referrer at the point of application.
1) The referrer will receive a payment (the “referral payment”) for the successful referral of a Peerpoint consultant.
2) The referral payment will be paid for the referral of legal consultants who have signed a consultancy agreement with Peerpoint and completed a minimum of 250 hours of work as a Peerpoint consultant within a 12 month period (the “minimum hour threshold”).
3) The referral payment will be paid after the consultant completes the minimum hour threshold.
4) The amount of the referral payment and details of the payment mechanisms are set out in the Schedule and are determined by the office which makes a successful offer to the legal consultant.
1) All Allen & Overy employees are eligible for a referral payment under this policy except:
a. any employee who is involved in, or is in a position to influence, the selection process for the individual concerned;
b. any employee who, in making a referral, is in breach of any contractual obligation to a third party (for instance, if their contract of employment with a former employer currently prevents them from “poaching” a former colleague);
c. or any employee within Human Resources.
2) All Allen & Overy alumni and Peerpoint consultants are eligible for a referral payment under this policy.
3) No payments will be made in respect of the referral of:
a. any candidates who have previously worked for any Allen & Overy office in the last 12 months (including permanent and fixed term employees, self-employed consultants, agency temps and agency contractors);
b. individuals currently employed within any Allen & Overy office;
c. trainee solicitors or graduates;
d. candidates who have applied to Peerpoint prior to the referral; or
e. candidates who apply through agencies.
4) Partners are not eligible for a referral payment under this policy but, in lieu of such payment, Peerpoint will make a contribution to the charity which Allen & Overy is partnered with at the relevant time.
Please note that this policy is not contractual and we reserve the right to review, amend or withdraw it at any time.
Are there any prerequisites to becoming a Peerpoint legal consultant?
We are looking for high-quality lawyers with at least two years’ post-qualification experience gained within a magic circle law firm or a practice which is tier one rated for the area in which they specialise. As well as strong technical abilities we are also looking for talented lawyers who are highly motivated, self-sufficient, possess commercial acumen, who have an entrepreneurial drive and are committed to pursuing a career as an interim legal consultant.
Can I get an update on the status of my contact’s application?
During the assessment process, the Peerpoint team will not be able to update you on the status of your contact’s application to maintain privacy. The Peerpoint team will keep the candidate updated directly.
Can I just send my contact’s CV instead of getting them to apply online?
In order to be eligible for a referral payment your referral must be made through the Peerpoint team. This can be done by:
a. your contact completing an online application to Peerpoint (vacancies can be viewed here), including your name as referrer in the relevant field on the application form and submitting this along with their CV directly to Peerpoint;
b. you directly introducing the candidate to the Peerpoint team by email and the candidate confirming at the point of application that you are their referrer; or
c. the candidate contacting the Peerpoint team directly and confirming at the point of application that you are their referrer.
I want to refer someone that used to work at Allen & Overy. Am I still eligible for a referral payment?
Yes, provided the person you have referred has not been working (whether as a permanent or fixed term employee, self-employed consultant, agency temp or agency contractor) at Allen & Overy in the last 12 months (including all Allen & Overy offices globally), and that they are not already known to Peerpoint.
Is there a limit to the number of referrals I can make?
No, there is no limit to the number of referred candidates that can be recommended. All successful referrals will result in full payment regardless of the number of successful introductions in any one year.
Local office policies