Role of a mentor
- Addressing issues and challenges identified by the mentee, the mentor offers guidance and support in the form of pragmatic and objective assistance.
- A mentor offers a safe, confidential environment within which the mentee can discuss work related issues and explore solutions to challenges.
- A mentor can help a mentee take decisions and clarify the perspective while bringing an additional view and insight to bear.
- Mentors are not there to solve problems but rather to illuminate issues and help plan ways through them.
- Mentors can advise on development and how to manage a career plan, they can offer insights into the ways A&O works and how the informal networks operate, they can challenge your assumptions, and where relevant, they can share their own experience.
Back to mentoring overview